Using Mentor Texts to Teach Reading Skills: a Weekly Routine

I love to use pictures books to teach various reading comprehension skills. I think that students of all ages LOVE to listen to a picture books. They are short and easily digestible, and students are also able to relate to the content or sense of humor that comes with a picture book.

But how do I use picture books in my upper elementary classroom? Well, I start by finding 4-5 books that lend themselves to the reading skills that I am covering for that week. I utilize the I do, we do, you do method to help them master the reading skill.

Mentor Text with Graphic Organizer with text "Theme"

Monday: Introduce the Reading Skill

Each Monday, I introduce a reading skill, typically with a PowerPoint, anchor chart, and graphic organizer. This day is all about ME! I model exactly what I’m thinking, and I choose a book that will allow me to do exactly that. For the first ten reading skills that I teach, I have a blog post with the books that I use to model introducing the reading skill
When I’m reading aloud, I stop and fill in the graphic organizer. I write the things that I’m thinking or the details that might help me make a visualization, draw a conclusion, or provide text evidence. This component will always vary depending on the reading skill that I’m covering. I might call on my students occasionally to ensure that they are following me, but overall, I am modeling the reading, thinking, and writing.
Three Mentor Texts with Graphic Organizer with Text "Theme"

Tuesday & Wednesday: Guided Practice with the Reading Skill

Remember how I said you would need 4-5 picture books or mentor texts to follow this framework? For Tuesday and Wednesday, you’ll need two more. With this part of the routine, I think my kids need the opportunity to have guided practice. This time, they have the graphic organizer and we work together to read the text and complete our graphic organizer. It gives them the opportunity to practice in a safe space. They aren’t being graded or pressured to read the text on their own–just practice.

Thursday: Practice the Reading Skill

By Thursday, they are usually tired of that graphic organizer. I also use the same graphic organizer during our Guided Reading Groups. But that also means, they are getting pretty good at understanding how to use it and what I am expecting. So, I turn them lose. I read the text. I take it slow, but I keep my mouth zipped! We aren’t sharing thoughts, answers, or ideas initially. We are just reading and recording.
After they’ve completed their graphic organizer and have had plenty of time to gather their thoughts, I show my graphic organizer. Often times, I complete this as my students are doing their graphic organizers, I just don’t put it under the document camera. Then, I share it once we are finished. I try to stress that my graphic organizer is not the only possible answer. If we are working on drawing conclusions, there isn’t always ONE right answer. There are some that might be better than others. There are some that have better text evidence, but those are the conversations that we have together.
Student at table with mentor text and graphic organizer with text "Theme"

Friday: Show Me the Reading Skill

On Friday, in lieu of doing a traditional reading test, I usually give my students the same graphic organizer and we read a picture book together. Choosing a book that is easy enough for your students to complete independently and also really demonstrates the skill you are targeting is key. I also try to find a PDF version of the book online or use the school’s scanner to give the students a copy of the book. This allows them to go back in the text when they are working on their own.
This is the only time in the week that they are graded on doing this skill independently.
Share:

9 Comments

1. nadiya
    Author
    July 26, 2019 / 10:46 am

I really liked and I got some innovative ideas for improving my thoughts from well defined content.
    IELTS Coaching in Chennai
    IELTS Classes in Chennai
    french courses in chennai
    pearson vue
    Blockchain Training in Chennai
    Ionic Training in Chennai
    IELTS Coaching in Porur
    IELTS Coaching in Adyar

2. shreekavi
    Author
    February 21, 2020 / 7:04 am

Get inspired by your blog. Keep doing like this….
    Tally Course in Chennai
    Tally Course in Hyderabad
    Tally training in coimbatore
    Tally course in madurai
    Best tally training institute in bangalore
    tally course in marathahalli
    tally Training in bangalore
    Tally Classes in Bangalore
    Ethical hacking course in bangalore
    Software Testing course in Bangalore

3. Riya Raj
    Author
    February 21, 2020 / 9:14 am

More valuable post!!! Thanks for sharing this great post with us.
    JAVA Training in Chennai
    JAVA Course in Chennai
    advanced java training in chennai
    Java training institute in chennai
    Java classes in chennai
    java training in porur
    java training in OMR
    Big data training in chennai
    Selenium Training in Chennai
    IOS Training in Chennai

4. chandhran
    Author
    February 28, 2020 / 11:09 am

This blog is really nice and informative blog, The explanation given is really comprehensive and informative.
    Data Science Course in Chennai
    Data Science Courses in Bangalore
    Data Science Training in Bangalore
    Best Data Science Courses in Bangalore
    Data Science Institute in Bangalore
    Data Science Training Institutes in Bangalore
    Data Science Training in BTM
    AWS Training in Bangalore
    DevOps Training in Bangalore
    PHP Training in Bangalore

5. Vivek Vichu
    Author
    March 5, 2020 / 9:43 am

Awesome blog, very informative content… Thanks for sharing waiting for next update…
    Artificial Intelligence Course in Chennai
    AI Training in chennai
    artificial intelligence training in chennai
    C C++ Training in Chennai
    javascript training in chennai
    Html5 Training in Chennai
    QTP Training in Chennai
    Spring Training in Chennai
    DOT NET Training in Chennai

6. subha
    Author
    June 19, 2020 / 3:28 pm

This blog is very attractive. It's used for improve myself. Really well post and keep posting….. nice page
    Ai & Artificial Intelligence Course in Chennai
    PHP Training in Chennai
    Ethical Hacking Course in Chennai Blue Prism Training in Chennai
    UiPath Training in Chennai

7. Janu
    Author
    June 22, 2020 / 8:28 am

Thanks a lot for sharing such a good source with all, i appreciate your efforts taken for the same. I found this worth sharing and must share this with all.

Dot Net Training in Chennai | Dot Net Training in anna nagar | Dot Net Training in omr | Dot Net Training in porur | Dot Net Training in tambaram | Dot Net Training in velachery

8. Tanika Co Valda
    Author
    June 29, 2020 / 12:55 pm

The development of artificial intelligence (AI) has propelled more programming architects, information scientists, and different experts to investigate the plausibility of a vocation in machine learning. Notwithstanding, a few newcomers will in general spotlight a lot on hypothesis and insufficient on commonsense application. machine learning projects for final year In case you will succeed, you have to begin building machine learning projects in the near future.

Projects assist you with improving your applied ML skills rapidly while allowing you to investigate an intriguing point. Furthermore, you can include projects into your portfolio, making it simpler to get a vocation, discover cool profession openings, and Final Year Project Centers in Chennai even arrange a more significant compensation.

Data analytics is the study of dissecting crude data so as to make decisions about that data. Data analytics advances and procedures are generally utilized in business ventures to empower associations to settle on progressively Python Training in Chennai educated business choices. In the present worldwide commercial center, it isn't sufficient to assemble data and do the math; you should realize how to apply that data to genuine situations such that will affect conduct. In the program you will initially gain proficiency with the specialized skills, including R and Python dialects most usually utilized in data analytics programming and usage; Python Training in Chennai at that point center around the commonsense application, in view of genuine business issues in a scope of industry segments, for example, wellbeing, promoting and account.

9. Sreyas Ram
    Author
    July 1, 2020 / 2:37 pm

nice blog..valuable information….thanks for sharing…
    Study Abroad Consultants in Kerala
    study abroad consultants in thrissur
    Study Abroad Consultants in Calicut
    abroad job consultancy in coimbatore
    abroad job consultancy in thrissur
    overseas education consultants in thrissur
    study abroad